Big BIG thanks to our sponsor Neil !
For information on today's festivals see eFestivals.co.uk
Updated September 2012, New pictures of the site and audience
Dec 2011 new photos of the Pye Recording crew and Miles Davis's engineer Stan Tonkel and producer Teo Macero
Best viewed at 1280 x 1024 res .
NB: MEDIA- If requesting contact details to use images for publication, please send the url, image file and name of Photographer to us so its easier to give you their contact details. Due to the impermanent nature of the web, people change addys frequently- so we don't have contact with all of our contributors.
The 1970 Isle of Wight Festival. 26th - 30th August 1970.
I'm looking for any pix you might have taken at the festival. Contact us
This new batch of photos © Virgil Anderson !
In 1970 I was a 21 year old kid from California spending the first of three consecutive summers traveling around Europe. I was hitchhiking to the festival from Germany by myself. On the night ferry from Cali to Dover I met an Englishman returning to London who said he had a son who was planing to attend the festival and maybe I would like to join him. Sounded like a good idea to me so I got a free ride to London and spent a few days with this English family before a total of four of us headed down to Portsmouth to catch the ferry to the Isle Of Wight. The ferry ticket was a ticket to the small town on the Isle named Ryde. It was there and then that I found out what the Beatles song "A Ticket To Ryde" was about. We arrived at the festival site on the afternoon of Wednesday the 26th and got a camp set up in the camping area.
just kind of wasted the day away on Thursday. That night one of my companions
and I decided to spend the night as close to the front gate as possibly so we
could be among the first in line when the gates opened for the big name groups
the next morning. That was a big mistake, we didn’t get a bit of sleep
because there was so much commotion going on. At one point some idiot lit fire
to a van that was not far away and it looked like we were all going to have
to evacuate the area.
We did get a pretty good spot fairly close to the stage the next morning, we spent the day listening to the bands. Left after Chicago finished their set and got a good nights sleep in the tent.
The next day, Sat. I spent exploring the area including a hike to the top of the hill overlooking the arena. That night was the most memorable for me. We were in the arena about 2/3 the way back from the stage, just socializing and getting stoned, not really listening to the music. Then a band came on stage that seemed to just grab your attention from the first note. It was Ten Years After, they just seemed to have the whole place rockin. My eyes and ears were glued to the stage for the entire performance. The final song was Sweet Little Sixteen, which ended up as the last cut on the Watt album which was released later that year. Then came The Who. They put on a great show but I still think Ten Years After had the crowd going better. Went and got my sleeping bag from the camp site and crashed in the arena listening to the great music.
next morning I decided to beat the crowd and leave one day early. This would
mean missing Jimmy Hendrix but after seeing the video of his performance I don’t
think I missed much. The festival did two things to me, first it made me an
avid fan of Alvin Lee and Ten Years After and although I enjoyed the entire
experience, to this day I don’t care much for large crowds.
Berthoud Colorado, U.S.A.
Check out this link for more photos of the festival
1970 festival menu
- Site map. (new 1-10-02)Isle of Wight 1970 homepage
- Press Program items (new 1-10-02)
- Official Program (New 9-16-03)
- Personal recollections of the festival-updated with new photos June 2009
- Other attendees recollections (updated Dec 2011)
- Information about band performances , personnel. set lists and recordings (updated December 2011)
- Site Photos (updated May 2009 )Col Underhill's Photos of the festival-New June 2009
- The Film
- IOW posters, passes and tickets
- 1970 festival page with rare pix.
- The battle to prevent the festival.
- The ArtistThe Pye Recording crew New pix July 2010
The Underground press- NB: opinions expressed in these articles do not represent our opinions of the organisers or any other people involved in the running of the festival, it is possible that they may be innaccurate in some details or facts.
- Friends Article ; Richard Nevilles review- A Race Of Bloody Masochists.
- Friends Article ; Anarchists, White Panthers ,Desolation Hill, The Angels
- Friends Article : The Police, Drugs, Food.
- Friends Article : Freek Press, The Beach , Community Aid ,Money.
- Friends Article : The Concerts, the Music.
- Friends Article : Guerilla Medicine , The straight press.
- Friends Article : Hawkwind and PInk Fairies.
- Friends Article : Rupert finds d...s at IOW
- Freek press No 1 - 8 -updated August 2007- new copies and updates
- Site photos Updated July 2009 - new pics pages 2-4
- Fairfield Parlour- Let the World Wash In
Reports from the "Straight "press
- Memoirs of a Blacklisted Journalist- great backstage IOW 70 account
- Excellent collection of photos of artists and site
- Extensive personal memoirs by Loris Valvona - well worth a read -added Jan 2012
The White Panthers
Other IOW festivals.If you have any info you can contribute to the site, especially regarding the 1968 and 1969 festivals, such as details of recordings. recollections, programmes, tickets, pix or articles don't just sit there , Contact us
1968 Isle of Wight festival 1969 Isle of Wight festival
Back to the main Archive.